Have you ever heard the saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?” Well, that’s certainly true regarding the installation and replacement of garage door weather stripping! Weather stripping is an easy and inexpensive way to help protect your home from weather elements such as rain, wind, dust, and more. Not only will weather stripping on your garage door make your life more comfortable by helping to keep out drafts in cold temperatures and maintain a cooler temperature indoors during hot summer months, but it may even prove effective as additional security against unwelcome critters and bugs. In this blog post, we’ll break down all things related to weather stripping, including how to replace it yourself.
Should I Install Garage Door Weather Stripping?
Although most garage doors come installed with weather stripping, it’s not uncommon for this important component to wear out over time, especially if you live in an area of unpredictable weather. That’s why it’s important to periodically close your garage door and check for any gaps of light, obvious breezes, cracks, gaps, or other signs of damage. If you notice any of the above, it’s a good sign that your stripping is worn and should be replaced. Fortunately, with the right tools and a little know-how, anyone can learn how to install weather stripping.
How To Install Garage Door Weather Stripping
To complete the project you’ll need a few tools: a hammer, pry bar, nails, hack saw, tape measure, and weather stripping. After the tools have been gathered, here’s how to install your own without calling in the professionals:
- Start by removing the old weather stripping (don’t forget the nails) using a pry bar. Before moving on, make sure to thoroughly clean the area of any dust, wood fragments, and other debris as this could prevent a proper seal on the new stripping.
- Take measurements with a tape measure to determine where to cut the new stripping to fit your garage door.
- Use a hack saw to make the necessary cuts.
- Install the new weather stripping with nails spaced apart about 10 inches. It’s important to ensure there is some overlap between the pieces for a secure seal, but not too much excess that it is bulging or hanging off the ends of the door.
- Once all sides are complete, finish the job by filling any gaps with caulking.
- Test your garage door to ensure a tight seal.
Contact Affordable Garage Door Fix for Garage Door Help In Salt Lake City
Need more help or don’t want to replace garage door weather stripping on your own? Contact Affordable Garage Door Repair for help replacing and installing weather stripping. Not only are we fully trained in all aspects of garage door repair, but we are fully committed to providing you with a lasting, quality job. We offer a wide selection of fast, reliable services to provide you with peace of mind that your garage is secure, working properly, and free of damage. If you need help with weather stripping installation or even a larger garage door problem, contact our team at Affordable Garage Door Fix.